2011 Holiday Letter

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Garden reading...

Eeeps! I'm falling a little behind in the updating department. We've been busy (happily, though), even though we promised ourselves we'd take it easy this summer.

What's quite clear to me is that even though I've slowed down on posts within the last week, the garden seems to be laying the hammer down and growing speedily! I realized this morning that I have at least 4 or 5 posts' worth of news, blooms, and random garden-related biz to share. Really, the square foot gardens--and more specifically the tomato plants--are NUTS. In a good way. (More on that to come!)

I thought I'd share one of the books I just finished reading,
The $64 Tomato: How One Man Nearly Lost His Sanity, Spent a Fortune and Endured an Existential Crisis in the Quest for the Perfect Garden. I grabbed this book in hardback from Carytown's coolest used bookstore, Chop Suey Books, for $8.50 on a whim. I've been hunting for really good garden narratives, especially since I so-so-so loved Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.
I took this book with me on our recent long weekend to Asheville, NC (more on that to come!) and it was a fast, funny, and happy read. I definitely recommend it! It was a good reality check for me, though, especially since I'm prone lately to idyllic daydreams about a bigger, bolder garden. Anyway, check it out!
I just reserved Amy Stewart's From the Ground Up: The Story of a First Garden at our local library. So, whoever's got this book checked out, hurry up and return it already!! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment