2011 Holiday Letter

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Advent Chain

Though this Christmas is technically Arlo's second Christmas, in many ways it feels like our very first with him.  Last December was a flurry of baby preparation and birth planning. Visions of our soon-to-come sugar plum danced in our heads, and, well, Christmas paled in comparison. And when he arrived not quite a week before Christmas day, everything about him usurped everything else. New parenthood had Nick and I punch-drunk on new baby love and sleep deprivation. (Not much has changed in that department, really.) Last Christmas is a total blur to me, but I distinctly remember feeling exquisitely blessed. Just look at this sleepy, motley crew:


I feel a rekindling of holiday excitement this year, almost a child-like sort of joy about it all, and I know it has everything to do with Arlo. I feel a bubbly sort of eagerness about creating new holiday traditions with Arlo, about helping to craft really potent and lovely holiday memories for our family. I stumbled across the idea for a Christmas activity advent chain on a parenting blog I read, and I immediately loved the idea. I especially love that it's activity-focused and more about doing something together as a family. I've seen other advent activity calendars made into beautiful wreaths or trees, things that you would pull out year after year with your children, but I decided to keep this one simple because Arlo is still so little.

It's made from strips of scrapbook paper, some number stickers (to mark the days), and a little ribbon to display it. You simply pull off the link that corresponds with the date, and written on the inside of the link is a holiday activity to complete for the day. The chain becomes shorter and shorter as Christmas approaches.

The chain's beginning:
 And its end:


 Most of the advent chains I've seen are hung vertically, but if I were to hang ours that way Arlo would enthusiastically rip the whole thing down. I hung ours across our hearth.  


Most of the activities are pretty simple and inexpensive/free, like today's activity: Check out a Christmas book from the library. I've included many activities surrounding giving to others, like Collect items to donate to Goodwill, and Donate canned goods to the food bank, and Make a package to send to troops serving overseas. And others involve going somewhere, like taking a tour of the neighborhood's Christmas lights, watching the Christmas parade, and attending a free holiday concert at the university. I set all of the activities up on my Google calendar as well, so that I'm not surprised and scurrying off to the store when I pull something like Decorate gingerbread cookies off the chain.

It cost last than $5 to make and it was a snap to put together once I came up with 25 activities. I have visions of a more elaborate advent activity calendar for the future, but this one works perfectly for now. I'm sure I will be posting some of our Christmas advent activities here, so stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment