The effects of our week-long departure from our garden were clearly visible when we returned. We had lots of rotten tomatoes, several over-ripe (fragrant, but not so tasty) melons, and elephant-sized squash...all of which found their inedible demise in our compost bin. The songbird garden was droopy and dry, and the last sunflower blooms of the season were spent. I would like to think that this sad and wilty state of affairs was due to the loss of nurturing in our absence, but I think it's also largely attributable to the ushering in of August's stifling dog days of summer.
I did pick a few tomatoes this evening for homemade salsa, and we do have a couple of ripening cantaloupe remaining. Still, the garden seems to have lost a little of its magic and luster. Weird.
On Incline Beach (Nick's wearing a long sleeve tshirt due to his lobstery sunburn; oh, the fate of the fair skinned):
No comments:
Post a Comment